The Continuous Improvement Specialist plays a critical role in supporting the company’s coating line process by developing and maintaining our quality control system. The focus of this position will be to create, update, and implement standard work for a 3-shift coating line process. This is a “hands-on” position that requires the use of Lean manufacturing principles to create training and support coating line personnel across all shifts. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working a flexible schedule in a manufacturing environment across diverse teams.
- Incorporate Lean principles and tools into process improvement and implementation of new technology
- Develop standard work, control plans, and inspection methods for new and existing products
- Act as functional liaison between engineering, quality, safety, maintenance, and technical (manufacturing) teams
- Document and implement process improvements and technological upgrades
- Manage process documentation
- Participate in efforts to improve existing processes with the goals of improved quality, cost reduction, and increased productivity
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering
- 5 years of engineering experience in a manufacturing facility
- Lean manufacturing experience
- Strong project management skills and experience leading multiple simultaneous projects
- Proven metric-driven results
- Advanced knowledge of production machinery, processes, and safety standards
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience operating in a high mix, high volume production environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for facilitating group and individual training and communicate with all levels of management
- Software skills including use of Microsoft Office software and web-based applications
- Excellent time management, organizational, and multi-tasking skills necessary to handle various tasks and changing priorities
- Strong attention to detail
At Universal Woods, it’s the people that make the UW purpose possible. And we invest in them by offering exceptional benefits like:
- Competitive salary
- Incentive bonus plan
- Profit-sharing plan (TBD)
- 401(k) plan
- Company 401(k) matching contributions (50% of first 6% contribution matched)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition assistance
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Vacation time & paid holidays
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Health & wellness program
- Growth & learning opportunities
The Company: Universal Woods
Universal Woods is a manufacturer of coated, hard substrates used in graphics and mezzanine decking applications. The company serves two primary segments: (i) Sublimation, for which it supplies coated aluminum, wood, and other substrates that are to apply images through sublimation printing; and (ii) Cornerstone Wood Products (“CSWP”), for which it manufactures coated, engineered wood for warehouse mezzanine decking.
Sublimation is a form of printing that transfers inks into a coated surface, resulting in vibrant colors, long life, and superior durability compared to traditional printing methods. Universal Woods sells two primary brands of sublimation substrates, Unisub and ChromaLuxe. Unisub is sold primarily in a wide variety of shapes, used in the personalized photo gift market, such as ornaments, coasters, key chains, etc. ChromaLuxe primarily sells coated aluminum and hardboard for use for printing premium fine art and personal photos.
UW is headquartered in Louisville, KY, with additional facilities and operations in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Belgium, and Australia.
To apply, send resumé and cover letter to:Charles Hopkins, email: Charles.Hopkins@universalwoods.com. For questions, contact (502) 855-3206. Reference: Industrial Engineer/Continuous Improvement Specialist position.